Energy / Navigating Renewable Sector Recruitment: Challenges, Trends, and Strategies for Success
May 24, 2023
At the age of 11 I remember visiting the Astra Cinema in Maghull (now sadly a supermarket) to watch Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. What a hero Christopher Reeve was! This time he was up against Nuclear Man who showed that he had the power to generate heat and electricity by touch, shoot fire and throw flares.
But his only weakness was lost contact with the sun. I am not sure Renewable man was high on the list of hero ideas in 1987 but the world has changed since I was 11 and our fictional hero would not be short of offers.
So where am I going with this blog? Well, the UK renewable sector is a rapidly growing industry that offers a wide range of career opportunities across different fields. As the UK moves towards cleaner energy, the demand for renewable energy sources such as wind, solar, hydro, and geothermal energy is increasing, creating more jobs in the sector. In this kryptonite fuelled blog, I will explore the current trends and challenges in recruitment in the UK renewable sector.
Trends in Recruitment
Increased Demand for Skilled Labour
- As the renewable sector expands, there is a growing need for skilled workers who possess the technical expertise and knowledge to design, build, operate, and maintain renewable energy systems. These include engineers, technicians, and project managers but no Lex Luthor’s please.
Emphasis on Training and Development
- Many companies in the renewable sector are investing in training and development programs to enhance the skills of their existing workforce and to attract new talent to the industry. These programs may include on-the-job training, apprenticeships, and professional development courses. At BPS World we work closely with Complete Training Solutions who are one of the UK’s leading Health and Safety Training providers, serving the Renewable Energy and Construction industries. Check out Danielle Kershaw and the amazing team at CTS https://www.completetrainingsolutions.co.uk/
Challenges in Recruitment
Shortage of Skilled Workers
- The demand for skilled workers in the renewable sector is outstripping supply, and many companies are struggling to find the right talent to fill open positions. This is particularly true for highly specialized roles such as offshore wind turbine technicians and grid connection specialists. BPS World work closely with CAN Renewables UK https://canrenewables.com/services/solar-power-engineering/ to introduce new workers to the sector. They are an amazing company and CAN combines expertise in renewable energy and practical technical solutions to deliver solar power engineering services. And like many, we know that solar power is vital to achieving a net-zero and carbon-free future.
Lack of Awareness and Understanding
- Many people are still unfamiliar with the renewable sector and the career opportunities it offers. This can make it challenging for companies to attract a diverse range of applicants who may not have considered a career in renewable energy before.
Competition with Other Sectors
- The renewable sector is not the only industry looking for skilled workers, and companies in the sector may face competition from other sectors such as oil and gas, construction, and technology. This can make it challenging to attract and retain top talent.
Strategies for Successful Recruitment
To overcome the challenges in recruitment, companies in the renewable sector should consider the following strategies:
Collaborate with Educational Institutions
- Collaborating with educational institutions such as universities, colleges, and vocational schools can help companies to identify and attract potential candidates who are interested in a career in the renewable sector. This can also provide an opportunity for companies to help shape the curriculum to ensure that it meets the needs of the industry. Over at https://progress-careers.co.uk/ they are making a real difference with their Information, Advice and Guidance within schools.
Build a Strong Employer Brand
- Building a strong employer brand can help companies to attract and retain top talent by highlighting their values, culture, and commitment to diversity and inclusion. This can be done through social media, employer review sites, and other channels.
Offer Competitive Compensation and Benefits
- Offering competitive compensation and benefits can help companies to attract and retain top talent in a competitive job market. This may include flexible working arrangements, health and wellness benefits, and opportunities for career growth and advancement.
In conclusion, the UK renewable sector is a growing industry with a high demand for skilled workers. Companies in the sector need to be initiative-taking in their recruitment efforts and consider innovative strategies to attract a diverse range of talent. By collaborating with educational institutions, building a strong employer brand, and offering competitive compensation and benefits, companies can position themselves as an employer of choice in the renewable sector.
Thanks for reading and remember its against the law to get changed in a telephone booth!
BPS World is a global recruitment partner with 20+ years’ heritage across the engineering, technical and professional services landscape. We help organisations like yours achieve enhanced recruitment outcomes through a partnered solution that differs from an agency approach.